Thursday 20 October 2011

The Aultman Taylor Decal re-creation project

I'm just in the early stages of a very exciting project and thought I would share it with you. I was asked by the Reynolds-Alberta Museum to re-create a decal from the Aultman Taylor Equipment Company for a tractor they just finished restoring. The Reynolds-Alberta Museum is a world class transportation, aviation, agriculture and industry Museum from the 1890s to the present.  I thought I would document the process to give people an idea of what is involved in re-creating a decal with this level of detail . The graphic will be hand painted and then scanned into a computer so it can be reproduced as decals. I love this type of period work because it challenges all my skills as an Artist. Hope you enjoy the ride. I'm enclosing the Reynold-Alberta Museum link to give you an idea of what they are all about.
                                                   http://history.alberta.ca/reynolds/
 Here are some photos of  the layout / color study and reference photos. The first sketch was provided by the Museum. There are no decals available for reference so this is what I have to work with. I'll post photos as I progress through the project.

                                                                 
                                                         
                                                                   





          

                 

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a really fun project. Looking forward to seeing how it all comes together. Are you going to try to match original colors, and if you are- how in the heck are you gonna figure them out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for dropping in Doug, I do have some color sample from other decals of the same time period. All I can do is come close to what it might have been. There are no known copies of the decal, so not much to compare to. They do plan to market them to other collectors.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment or suggestion