Sunday 11 August 2013

Another Aged Sign Job

I just finished another of my favorite types of sign jobs, the distressed sign. A good client of mine recently renovated their Pub in Edmonton, and asked if I would do a distressed sign in the front entrance. Being one of my favorite type of signs to do, I asked what was the address and off I went. Part of the fun of my job is the road trips, I've always enjoyed traveling for work, regardless of the distance. I rolled into Edmonton around 11 am, and had the pattern on by 12. After recording the National wall job with my iphone, I thought I might make another video of this job. Although this one doesn't show me lettering, it does show the steps. I still have work to do when shooting these videos, but the more I do, the better I get... I hope. The sign was done using regular latex house paint, and then using the clear mixing base to cut the color as it makes it more transparent. I will usually start by "cutting-in" the letters and boarder (paint around the letter instead of filling it in) as I have more control on the transparency of the sign. By doing it this way, you don't make the white to bright. On that note, the white is actually a greyed down white to keep in the value scale of the background. To finish it off, I mix some warm tones to "Block Age" the surface and bring out the grain. It also helps to soften the sign so it doesn't hit you in the face when you walk in the door. In the end, I was happy with the look, and so was the client, which is the most important part. All that was left for me to do was to turn up the tunes and head for home. On another note, I've had some requests about putting together a workshop, just wondering how much interest there is out there. Drop me a line if you have an interest and I'll see what I can do. Thanks.


         The finished sign. All hand lettered, no tape or stencils were harmed in the making of this sign.


                                                   A short video on the making of the sign.

2 comments:

  1. Nice one Rick! Very authentic-looking. Wouldn't it be easier to just wait twenty years, though?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Don. It would be easier, but just a little to long to wait for the final payment. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment or suggestion